Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

I can't stomach Corned Beef and Cabbage, but I love me some Shepherd's Pie. And with St. Patrick's Day tomorrow, I thought I would offer up a recipe that is a festive alternative to more traditional Irish fare.

Ingredients
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 lb ground beef or cubed beef (like you would use for stew) - Note: I have used both elk and buffalo meat instead of beef, and it is stupendous!   
  • handful mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • Marsala Red Wine Sauce (optional - see recipe below)
  • mashed potatoes - Here's a recipe from Martha Stewart that I really like if you don't already have a preferred way of making them
  • grated sharp cheddar for sprinkling over casserole

Marsala Red Wine Sauce
Saute one finely minced shallot in olive oil until tender. Add one cup red wine and 1/2 cup Marsala. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by 1/3. Add 3/4 cup beef demi glace (the stuff from Williams Sonoma is phenomenal) and 2 T red currant jelly (or whatever jelly you have in the fridge). Lastly, add 1.5 t butter (cut into little cubes), one cube at a time, whisking until fully incorporated. Remove from head and add pepper to taste. 

(This sauce is perfect over filets. I had some left over from Valentine's Day, so I thought I would throw it into the casserole. It was a welcome addition that I will definitely incorporate from now on, although the Shepherd's Pie still tastes delicious without it.)

Shepherd's Pie:
Saute onion and meat in some olive oil until browned. Scatter over the bottom of a casserole dish, like so:


Add mushrooms and zucchini on top: 


Top with Marsala Red Wine Sauce and mix.


Cover mixture evenly with mashed potatoes. 


(I forgot to snap a pic before I began adding cheese. Sorry :) Now smother in cheese.


Pop in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the potato peaks are golden. Enjoy with a green beer!

I will be sharing my recipe for Blue Velvet Cupcakes tomorrow, which can easily be turned into Red or Green Velvet depending on the occasion. We gotta wash that casserole down with something sweet, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment