Thursday, July 28, 2011

Worst Recipe Post in History

Remember how I said the other day that a recipe I had hoped to blog about totally bombed? Well, maybe you don't remember me saying that, which would be good...because today I am going to write about that very recipe. Only I don't have pictures for you; I deleted them the night I made it because I didn't think it turned out. Then this miraculous thing happened: I let it set overnight, and the whole thing came together and was delicious.

So without further ado, here it is: Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake, which we have been calling Ooey Gooey. (Disclaimer: Although I almost always bake from scratch, this recipe uses boxed yellow cake. If you are a baking snob like me, you might not want to read any further.)


Ingredients:

Cake:
  • 1 18-1/4 oz. box of yellow cake mix
  •  1 egg
  • 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
Filling:
  • 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 8 Tablespoons of butter, melted
  • 1 16 oz. package of powdered sugar
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While oven is heating up, mix the ingredients for the cake with an electric mixer. Spread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, beating until combined. Then add the powered sugar slowly, mixing well. 

Spread over cake mixture and bake for 40-50 minutes. (I went 50 mins, and it was still pretty gooey.) Here's the most important part: restrain yourself and really let this guy cool down or it won't set up and it will be gross. It will also burn the roof of your mouth off and make it impossible to enjoy food for two days while your body is regenerating new skin. Was that too much info? Sorry. I just don't want you all to fall into the same trap I did. 

Two more quick warnings: one, this dessert is super sweet, so a little goes a long way. Don't binge or you will have a wicked tummy ache. Second, be prepared for your husband to fall even more in love with you because you finally relented and made him something by Paula Deen, the undisputed queen of Southern cooking. 

Okay, you've been warned. Go forth and bake! 


2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend the pumpkin ones come fall time! They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check it out Meghan. Thanks for the recommendation and for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete