We spent the weekend working hard on step one of retexturing our walls. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to show for it; it's slow going but I will share anyways.
It's hard to see the difference the mud makes on it's own, hence this shot of a corner. The texture on the left is the dreaded orange peel texture found throughout the house; the texture on the right is one coat of mud.
Here's a close up (that has been exposure and color adjusted, and therefore looks much more textured than it is in real life).
You can see from the scoring on the picture above that the walls are far from smooth now, but they are much closer to the desired texture than the orange peel above.
Step 2 is sanding down the walls, followed by another coat of mud and a second round of sanding...and then we can paint. I am not gonna lie, this is a slow and laborious process that results in there being more mud on us than the walls, but it is worth it already.
We have floated the entry and most of the dining room, so hopefully next weekend we can do the second coat in these areas and I can finally paint.
Meanwhile, the house looks like this.
That said, I am not sure what projects I will be able to share with you all this week. (A recipe I wanted to share tomorrow totally bombed last night.) Once we finish texturing, I will try to put a tutorial together - maybe even a video! Hey, if I can do it, anyone can.