Friday, June 24, 2011

The Perfect Summer Salad

I love Caprese salads and sandwiches, and I always get excited when our homegrown tomatoes come in because we get to eat Caprese till our bellies content. So imagine my delight when I ran across this fresh mozzarella, avocado, roasted corn, and tomato salad. It's a California take on the classic Caprese, and it is *perfect* for summer.


Ingredients:

  • 4 ears sweet corn in the husk
  • 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-sized cubes, or boccoconcini
  • 2 avocados
  • 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halves
  • 8-10 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • Several handfuls of your favorite lettuce variety
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is preheating, soak the corn, husk still on, in water for 15-20 minutes.
  • Roast corn with husk still on for 20-25 minutes on a baking sheet, or until kernels are tender.
  • Cool, then remove corn from husks.
  • Cut off the kernels and add to your salad bowl.



  • Chop and add the following: Mozzarella
  • Tomatoes
  • Avocados
  • Basil
  • Lettuce
  • Toss with Summer Herb Vinaigrette (see recipe below) and enjoy! 
Summer Herb Vinaigrette
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • Grated zest and juice of one lemon
  • 2-3 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsely
  • 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients but olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil in a slow, steady stream until all of the oil is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

*Note: One batch of the dressing is enough for three separate salads. I imagine it would also work well with other summery salads. 

With all of this warm weather (finally!), I have been in the mood for fresh salads from our garden, like this recipe above. What salad combos are you loving these days? Is there a dressing that I just have to try? Send your faves my way! 


2 comments:

  1. Yum, yum! I always struggle with home made salads and dressings. I have the problems of them being boring or just not right. These recipes look fool-proof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole,

    I couldn't see where I could email you...would you mind telling me how you added your name to each of your posts like that? I think it's rad.

    Great blog ;)

    Thank you

    chrissalovesya@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete