Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Glam Granola Recipes

Welcome to my blog! I hope to share my exploits as I go from being a renter (of a sad little cottage), to a first time homeowner. Along the way, I intend to share what inspires me in the decor, food, and fashion worlds and adapt them into realities, at least in some form. 


But first, an explanation of the title of my new blog. Anyone that knows me knows that I make my own granola and have been for years. I eat it everyday with plain yogurt. It fills me up and powers me through my mornings so much, that I take it with me everywhere: to school where I munch on it in front of my poor students, to conferences (no muffins or pastries for me), and even on vacation. And of course, I get made fun of endlessly for this - until someone tries it and realizes that this is not your crunchy aunt's granola! So to honor the name of this blog, here are my two favorite granola recipes: 


The Original (inspired by the addictive La Brea Bakery granola)


3 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c. raw pumpkin seeds
1 c pecans
1 T ground cinnamon
2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t orange peel
2 t pure vanilla extract
*Note: I add the spices by hand, but this is my closest approximation

Stir together with the following:
1/2 c. safflower oil
1/2 c. honey

Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 16 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring once halfway through. Be careful about browning.

When light brown remove and let cool to room temp. Loosen from pan in chunks and add dried fruits. 
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. dried blueberries
1/2 c. dried currants

Serve with yogurt and fresh fruit or with milk. It's not exactly the same as the inspiration, but the combination of spices and dried fruit make this my favorite during fall and winter. Yum!


The New Obsession (adapted from Joni Brosnan courtesy of GOOP)

2 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1 c walnuts
1 c pecans
1 c shredded coconut
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c flax seeds
Stir together with the following:
1/2 c. maple syrup (I like the maple agave blend from Trader Joe's)
1 T pure vanilla extract



Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring once halfway through. Be careful about browning.

When light brown remove and let cool to room temp. Loosen from pan in chunks and add
1 c. dried cranberries
Serve in the same way as the Original Granola. The addition of the coconut makes this a delicious breakfast in the spring and summer. 
Recipe can be found at http://goop.com/newsletter/81/en/
Let me know if you try them. Happy baking and eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment