Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Waiting Game

We were supposed to hear back about our offer by 5 pm today, but that deadline just passed us by, and still no news! I have been a wreck all day and have been running errands, cleaning, and organizing to try to keep myself occupied. The fridge and freezer are stocked. Our bedroom is as clean as it can be until my appointment with The Wardrobe! I can't really clean anything else because the vacuum refuses to do its job.

Cooking helped me pass the time last night, and today I brined two chickens so I can make the hubby some homemade chicken salad sandwiches. (Why not spoil him while I have the time?)

Last night's dinner was so good that we will be eating the leftovers again tonight. Here's the recipe, courtesy of Giada.

Saffron Orzo with Shrimp

4 c chicken broth (I use free-range organic broth)
1 t saffron threads
1 lb uncooked orzo
7 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
1/4 c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Juice of 1 lemon
3 t salt (I tend to cut this in half since I don't use reduced-sodium chicken broth)
2 t black pepper
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Capers to taste (optional)

In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low simmer and add saffron, stirring and simmering until saffron has "bloomed," about 5 minutes.

Return heat to medium and add orzo. Bring stock to a boil and cook orzo for 9 minutes (or until tender but still firm to the bite), stirring occasionally.

Add 4 T of olive oil, parsley, half the lemon juice, 1 t each of salt and pepper, and capers (if using.) Combine thoroughly. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss shrimp with 1 t of salt, 1 t of pepper, and remaining lemon juice. Heat remaining 3 T of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp in a single layer and cook until shrimp are just turning pink, about 3 minutes per side. Take the tail off the shrimp and chop into bit-sized pieces.

Add shrimp to orzo and enjoy!

Happy eating! I will keep you posted as soon as we have an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment