Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Let the Painting Begin!

The walls in the entry and dining room are FINALLY done. They are beautifully smooth and ready to be adorned with a fresh coat - or two - of paint. So paint I did. I got a bit of a late start on Sunday afternoon, so I only was able to do one coat of paint in the entry, but man, is it looking sweet!


I went with Sherwin Williams Modern Gray, which I color matched to Glidden Flat Interior Paint. (I went with Glidden because it is low VOC and inexpensive; I had wanted to go with Olympic, which is no VOC, but it is twice the cost of Glidden and I would have had to drive 45 minutes each way to the nearest Lowe's, which would have meant waiting till next weekend to bust out the brushes and rollers. I know you are wondering, "What's another week at this point?" But I was just too eager to get going after waiting so long.)

The coverage is definitely blotchy, so it will need at least a second coat. I took a gamble by deciding not to prime the walls first or get a built in primer, and I am glad it worked out. The coverage after the first coat may not be perfect, but it's pretty typical of what one coat of paint looks like. Whew!

The color is really soothing. It's not too light and not too dark; it's gray, but it has brownish undertones, so it is not an icy gray at all. (All the bluish gray swatches that I put up on the wall looked so frigid and this is really close to Berkshire Beige, the color I stumbled upon in Healdsburg that I fell for.) I dare say it's a warm grey, which is what I was shooting for.


I can't wait to see a second coat and get a feel for the space once we paint the dining room too this weekend. I am hoping I can finish up both coats this weekend, and do the ceiling the following weekend so I can put my house back together... and move forward with the skim coating in the living room.

Speaking of the ceiling, I am still not sure what I want to do up there. Should I cut Modern Gray by 50%? Or will that be too dark? Should I go with a white? Another color? Any suggestions? As usual, I want an answer now, but I think I will have to wait and see until that second coat dries.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Finally the painting! I know you've been waiting to do this, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's an interesting idea to do the same color, but lighter... Beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete